Students will be able to communicate effectively with their audiences: Specifically, students will do so by planning and preparing mass communication messages in the appropriate style, using the appropriate research methods and appropriate technologies to best serve audience needs.
This learning outcome is aligned with the following ACEJMC Values and Competencies:
- Write correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for the communications professions, audiences and purposes they serve;
- Critically evaluate their own work and that of others for accuracy and fairness, clarity, appropriate style and grammatical correctness;
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the communications professions in which they work;
- Apply basic numberical and statistical concepts;
- Apply tools and technologies appropriate for the communications professions in which they work.
Students will act professionally in their practice
Specifically, students will be able to practice communication within legal boundaries, while exhibiting standards of professional behavior and demonstrating sensitivity to ethical behavior. Students will also be literate in the language of the media industries.
Mass Communication Process
Students will be scholars of the mass communication process
Specifically, students will be able to apply relevant theory to communication practice, understand factors that shape their profession, value freedom of speech in the marketplace of ideas, and think critically about the relationship between mass media and society.
Applying Gospel-Centered Values
Students will be able to apply Gospel-centered values as they contribute to society
Specifically, students will respect diversity and agency in a global society, be able to exercise moral reasoning when faced with ethical dilemmas, and show a commitment to making a difference within their sphere of influence.