Enrollment Services 
D-148 ASB 
(801) 422-7075 

Discontinuance is defined as withdrawing from ALL classes for the current semester or term and means a student is no longer considered to be currently enrolled.

Newly admitted students (new freshman, transfer, and former students) discontinuing prior to the add/drop deadline for the semester or term they were admitted will lose their admission status and will need to reapply to attend a future semester. Students should contact an Enrollment Services counselor in D-148 ASB about being readmitted.

Continuing students who discontinue from a major semester (fall or winter) will have that semester counted as a leave of absence. (For more information, see the Leave of Absence section on the Registration page of this catalog). Discontinuance may also have an impact on other areas of campus where students are required to be enrolled in a certain number of credit hours, such as:

  • housing
  • financial aid
  • scholarships
  • health center
  • employment
  • counseling services
  • computer lab
  • exercise facilities

The Enrollment Services Counselors in D-148 ASB are available to consult with students or parents regarding these issues.

The discontinuance process includes the following:

  1. Before the first day of classes and to the add deadline, students may drop all of their classes through MyMAP with no record on the official transcript.
  2. After the add deadline, students must discontinue by submitting the Online Request for Discontinuance form.
  3. If discontinuing after the withdraw deadline, the university will work with the student's instructors to determine if the student should be withdrawn passing (W) or withdrawn failing (WE). A W does not figure into the GPA, but a WE is a failing grade and will count in GPA calculations.
  4. Once the Online Request for Discontinuance form is completed and submitted, the student will be withdrawn from classes.
  5. After the discontinuance deadline, if non-academic circumstances arise, students may work with their instructors to get an incomplete contract. (See information about incompletes in the Grading section of this catalog.) If a student desires to discontinue after the deadline, including first term classes, it will be necessary to file a petition (see http://petitions.byu.edu).

Students who have a first term class and desire to discontinue should consider the following:

  • If the student wishes to keep only the first term class, he should withdraw from his other classes. He will receive no discontinuance date and the leave of absence policy will not apply as the student will still have posted credit. The student will receive a grade for the first term class.
  • If the student does NOT want to keep the first term class and it is BEFORE the first term withdraw deadline, he may simply discontinue by filling out the online discontinuance form.
  • If the student does NOT want to keep the first term class and it is AFTER the first term withdraw deadline, he will need to petition the Registrar's Office to be allowed to withdraw from the first term class(es).

Please Note:

  • International students must obtain clearance from International Student Services prior to discontinuing.
  • Law School students must initiate their discontinuance through the Registrar of the Law School, 364-A JRCB, 801-422-4275.
  • Students who leave the university under emergency conditions and subsequently do not return are still responsible to discontinue before the discontinuance deadline. They should contact Enrollment Services (D-148 ASB, 801-422-7075) as soon as possible.